Everything You Need to Know About Japanese Kaigohoken System

Are you looking for a way to take care of yourself and your loved ones? Kaigohoken, or health insurance in Japan, is the answer! In this blog post, we’ll explore what kaigohoken is and how it can help you stay healthy. We’ll also offer some tips on picking the best plan for your needs. Read on to find out more!


Introduction to Kaigo Hoken

Kaigo Hoken (Public Long-term Care Insurance) is a public system in Japan where everyone supports life after retirement.

It is compulsory for those over the age of 40 to purchase this insurance plan which will provide protection if they need nursing care services in the future. Developed in November 1996, Kaigo Hoken was eventually passed in December 1997 after some delays caused by coalition politics.

This system ensures that citizens of Japan can have access to resources and support throughout their senior years.

Who is Eligible for Kaigo Hoken?

Kaigo Hoken, also known as Public Long-Term Care Insurance, is a mutual assistance program which provides care services to those who need long-term care.

To be eligible for Kaigo Hoken, you must be over the age of 40 and certified as requiring long-term care. Those aged 65 or over are eligible to receive nursing care services. The primary insured person is responsible for paying 94,600 yen to enroll in the scheme.

The recipient will only have to bear 10%, 20%, or 30% of the cost depending on their eligibility for yokaigo/yoshien-nintei. If you are eligible for the scheme and would like to use it, you can contact your local Kaigo Yobo Center for more information.

What Benefits Does Kaigo Hoken Provide?

Kaigo Hoken provides numerous benefits for those aged 65 and over.

It covers the costs of nursing care services that can be provided in nursing homes, Senior activities promotion centers, and other locations. It also covers a variety of other costs such as medical expenses and special care services.

Furthermore, those insured by this program are also eligible to receive support for home-based care, including meals and assistance with daily activities.

All in all, Kaigo Hoken is a valuable resource for those who need long-term care and have reached the age of 65.

How to Apply for Kaigo Hoken

To take advantage of long-term care services, individuals must first apply for Long-Term Care Certification (Yo-kaigo Nintei) at the Municipal Office.

Application is accepted at Kourei Fukushi Kaigo-ka (headquarters of City hall) or Shinkoukyoku Kurashi Madoguchi-ka. All persons insured by this program will be able to apply for benefits, and after authorization will be able to receive nursing care (kaigo) services while utilizing the Nursing Care Insurance [Kaigo hoken] system.

This system ensures that the financial burden of nursing care is not placed solely on families, allowing individuals to receive the level of care they need. With the Kaigo Hoken system, individuals can receive benefits such as meals and housing, and access to various services that can help them remain independent. 

FAQs About Kaigo Hoken

One of the most commonly asked questions about Kaigo Hoken is who is eligible?

All Japanese citizens over 40 years of age are required to purchase this social insurance program to help support those who require long-term care. Those aged 65 and over may receive nursing care services.

In order to pay premiums, individuals must pay an annual amount in 10 installments, from June to March. Kaigo Hoken is a system of mutual support that helps society provide nursing care as our population ages at an unprecedented rate.


Kaigo Hoken is an important social benefit program in Japan.

It provides a range of services to its eligible members, including preventive care, treatment of chronic illnesses, and nursing care.

While the government covers 90% of the cost of this program, recipients are responsible for paying the other 10%. For those planning to remain in Japan indefinitely, it is important to understand the services offered by Kaigo Hoken and the associated costs.

With a better understanding of Kaigo Hoken, individuals can make more informed decisions about their long-term care needs.

  • URLをコピーしました!